Some mornings I am having oat bran for breakfast. I find it filling and warm and it is good in moderation for this diet due to its probiotic qualities. On this diet the best spice to add would be cinnamon but unfortunately I don’t like it all that much. So instead, this morning I added some freshly grated nutmeg, and the sweet fragrant aroma of my mothers homemade rice pudding was wonderfully nostalgic. It tasted good too!
Coconut and Nutmeg Oatbran
- 3 tbsp Oatbran (pre soaked for 24 hours in water and lemon juice, and washed before cooking)
- 200mls Almond milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbs unsweetened desiccated coconut
- tiny sprinkle of salt
- Xylitol to taste
- Add grated nutmeg to the mixed oatbran, salt and almond milk and cook (On the hob or in the microwave. I have done both depending on time).
- Once cooked stir in the coconut and sweetener to taste
- Grate more nutmeg on the top to serve.
I am going to buy chia seeds and flax seed this week and experiment with adding those. I will also make it with coconut milk and ginger. Recipes to follow….