I had already planned to make some egg custard and I fancied a rhubarb compote to go with it.
So I roasted some rhubarb with chopped ginger and vanilla. Roasting rather than stewing the rhubarb intensifies the flavours and it was a lovely warming zingy sweet taste for the wintery weather we have been having.
A delicious accompaniment to the warm egg custard or cold with natural yoghurt.
Roasted Rhubarb compote
- Rhubarb, chopped into finger sized pieces
- 1.5 inch ginger finely chopped
- sweetener to taste (I used xylitol)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs orange juice (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Put all the ingredients into a roasting dish and mix well
- Cover with foil and roast for 20-30 minutes until tender
- Once cooked, add more sweetener to taste if required
- Serve immediately or leave to cool and refrigerate.