This past week I have been yearning for the savoury buttery crunch of a slice of toast! It lead me to buy some buckwheat flour and to make this loaf. It was so easy to make, smelt delicious while it was baking and tastes even better. And the texture is just like bread, soft and spongy and toasts perfectly. I had mine spread with homemade roasted tomato pesto hummus.
Be aware the taste of the buckwheat comes through fairly strongly.
Roasted Tomato and Basil Buckwheat bread
- 250g Buckwheat flour
- 240ml water
- 2 eggs
- 1tbs baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- dried basil (or any herbs of your choice)
- 1.5 tbs Roasted tomato pesto (homemade)
- 1 tbs grated Parmesan (optional)
- Preheat oven to 230C
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and herbs in one bowl
- Whisk the eggs until pale and fluffy.
- slowly at the water to the eggs and then add to the dry ingredients and mix till smooth
- Stir in the pesto
- Pour the dough into a ready greased or baking paper lined loaf tin
- Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper and the grated parmesan across the top of the loaf
- Put in the oven for 20 minutes, then turn off oven and leave the bread to cool in the oven for 2 hours