Yesterday morning my son mentioned Ferrero Rocher Chocolates (he is rather partial) and it put a taste idea into my head.
So I rummaged around in the larder and made these – I reckon they are a pretty good sugar free nod to the original and the nicest ‘sweet treat’ I’ve concocted so far on this diet!
Hazelnut coconut quinoa bars
- 2 tbsp hazelnut butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 75g popped quinoa
- sprinkle of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- sweetener, to taste, (I used 2 tsp xylitol)
- Melt coconut oil, nut butter, vanilla extract, and sweetener in a bowl over simmering water
- Spread the popped quinoa and desiccated coconut on a baking sheet, sprinkle with a little salt and roast until just browned
- Stir the desiccated coconut and popped quinoa into the mixture
- press mixture into a cling-film lined tin
- Sprinkle desiccated coconut over the top and leave to cool
- Place in refrigerator for 30-60 mins until firm
- Slice into bars and enjoy.
I’ve edited and updated this recipe. The second time I made these bars a few tweaks improved them no end!
I guess you could use any nut butter of your choice, and add roasted nuts or seeds or coconut milk…..
The options for increasing the yumminess are endless!