I made a batch of these little almond fancies (I couldn’t think of a better name!) this morning. The boy helped me and we made them small enough to pop into the mouth.
The mixture smelt pleasantly like marzipan and the finished article tasted like rustic macaroons. but are a little heavy and its a recipe that I need to tweek quite a bit to get them as light as I think they can be. I used granulated xylitol to sweeten and I think I may pulse it to an icing sugar consistency next time.
I don’t have a sweet tooth so you may want to add more sweetener if you do.
But they must have been ok because my little boy was trying to eat them off the cooling rack!
- 4 egg whites
- 100g almond flour
- 100g coconut flour
- 4 tbs granulated sweetener
- 3 tsp almond essence
- 3 tbs roughly crushed almond slices
- 100mls unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Line two large baking sheets with baking paper
- Separate 4 eggs into a large bowl and whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks
- Fold in the sweetener, almond essence and flours and mix till smooth
- Add as much of the milk as you need to make the batter smooth but not too runny
- Drop small mounds of the mixture onto the baking sheets, and gently press a pinch of the almond flakes on top
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown
- Cool on a wire rack and then enjoy!