A few years ago, I was expecting guests for dinner and I had planned to make a stirfry with egg noodles. I had prepped my veg, and stir fry sauce and marinated the meat earlier in the day.
It was only once my guests had arrived and I was about to cook the stirfry and serve that I realised I’d forgotten to pick up the noodles!
So I had to improvise. Fortunately I had plenty of eggs, so I whipped up an omelette for each guest, spiced with a little ginger, finely sliced chilli and lots of sautéed spring onions. And then I piled the stirfried meat and veg on top.
My guests commented that is was unusual but delicious and I simply smiled a secret smile!!
It’s now a regular favourite on my table. The Denver omelette (I’ve never had an authentic one) meets Beijing!
If course you can add any meat, fish or vegetables to the stir fry as you like. This is simply what I made today.
The ‘Denver-meets-Beijing’ Omlette!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 4 eggs
- 200g turkey thigh, cut into fine strips (can be omitted for a vegetarian recipe)
- 2 tbls vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 6 spring onions chopped
- 1 courgette (zucchini) chopped
- 2 handfuls bean shoots
- 2 radishes, finely sliced
- 1 handful baby red chard
- 10 cherry tomatoes or 1 sliced red pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1″ piece ginger, finely chopped
- 0.5 tsp ginger powder
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, (deseeded if you prefer mild heat) and finely chopped
- 1 tbs coconut aminos (optional, or can be replaced with soy sauce if you eat it)
- Freshly grated Black pepper
- Heat the wok over a high heat
- Add a tbs oil and ff using, brown the turkey with some seasoning and the paprika, until cooked
- Decant onto a side plate
- Add a little more oil if needed, season and stir fry the onions and courgette, and red pepper (if using)
- When almost done, add the garlic, chilli (leaving a little aside for the omelette) and ginger, the coconut aminos if using, and fry for another 1-2 mins
- Add the bean shoots, half the spring onions, the cherry tomatoes and fry for another minute
- remove from the heat, and stir in the chard and radishes.
For the omelette:
- Crack and beat the eggs
- Add seasoning as required, the ginger powder and chilli, and ensure well mixed
- Heat the rest of the oil in a pan, pour in half the beaten egg and cook until browned on both sides
- Serve the omelette with the stirfry on top