A delicious looking souffle post by this blogger reminded me of my favourite savoury soufflé so I thought I’d make one for breakfast today (they are perfectfor any meal I find).
This is not dairy free as I used cheese, but I did use almond milk instead of cream for a lighter recipe and it was delicious.
Taking a photograph before it sank was a different matter!
Ingredients: (Makes two ramakins)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 knob of butter or 2 tsp oil
- 0.5 white onion, finely chopped
- 40g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 100ml almond milk
- 100g flaked salmon
- 0.5 tbs chopped fresh thyme (or any herb of your choice)
- freshly ground black pepper
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Butter the ramekins, dust them with some of the grated parmesan, and place on a baking sheet
- Sauté the onions till soft but not browned
- Separate the eggs
- In one bowl mix half the cheese into the egg yolks
- Mix in the flaked salmon, onions, milk, thyme and seasoning
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and fold gently into the cheese mixture
- Fold in half of the remaining cheese
- Pour the mixture into the ramekins and sprinkle over the rest of the parmesan
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 10-15 minutes, until puffed up and golden
- Serve immediately. It goes well with roasted asparagus