I often come across bliss ball hype here in the world of food blogging. Recipes, whilst delicious looking, invariably include dried fruit for sweetness and stickiness.
I decided to see if I could make some without fruit, gluten dairy and sugar free, and see if they would work.
I think they did! They are dangerously morish!
Carob lemon coconut bliss balls (makes 25)
- 2 tbs Carob spread
- 1 tbs Carob powder
- 1 tsp Lemon oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 0.5 cup boiled water
- 3 tbs ground roasted sunflower seeds
- Rind of 1 lemon, grated
- 3 tbs Oat bran
- 5 tbs Quinoa flakes
- 3 tbs Sesame seeds
- 2 tbs roasted hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tbs Coconut cream
- 1 tbs Xylitol
- 4 tbs unsweetened desiccated coconut, plus extra for rolling
- 2 tbs Chia seeds
- Pinch salt
- Soak the quinoa flakes and oat bran in the lemon juice and the water for 20 mins
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients (keep aside 1 tbs hazelnuts and desiccated coconut for rolling). A thick paste should form
- Allow to sit for 20 mins
- With wet palms, roll the mixture into balls and roll in the extra hazelnuts and coconut until coated
- Arrange on a foil covered baking sheet, or in a plastic container and refrigerate or freeze until ready to eat.
- Sweet carob squares (sweetenoughthanks.wordpress.com)