Reading a post from one of my favourite food blogs today, I was inspired to make these carrot cake muffins. I always make carrot cake spiced with orange and pineapple, but I didn’t have any pineapple at home today.
However, I had never made them gluten and sugar free before so this was an experiment.
They smelt lovely in the oven and my little boy couldn’t wait for them to cool to try them.
Then he ate two in a row, so I think they are a success.
Light, moist, spongy and delicious.
Spiced Orange and Carrot Cake Muffins (makes 12)
- 100g Buckwheat flour
- 50g almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
- 50g granulated sweetener (I used xylitol)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1 apple, finely grated
- Rind of one Lemon
- Rind of one orange
- 1 tsp Orange oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 100g natural yoghurt
- 100ml coconut water
- 1 tbs oil
- Unsweetened desiccated coconut for decoration
- Preheat oven to 200C and grease a muffin tin
- In separate bowls, mix together the wet and dry ingredients
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient until a smooth batter is formed
- Spoon into the muffin tin and sprinkle with desiccated coconut
- Bake for 25 mins until a skewer comes out clean
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!