I first tasted this Italian cake a few years back in a little coffee shop in London. It was so moist and delicious that I have had it in mind to try again. And it is naturally gluten free since it uses almond flour.
Light, moist, with a subtle orange sweetness. Perfect!
I tried it out this weekend on some guests, served with some ginger spiced natural yoghurt and it was a definite hit.
Italian Orange and Almond cake
- 2 oranges
- 200g almond flour
- 200g granulated sweetener (I used xylitol)
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbs poppy seeds
- 2 tbs unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 tbs flaked almonds, for decorating
- Put the chopped oranges in a saucepan, with 1 tbsp water. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. The oranges should be soft and liquid evaporated.
- Blitz with a handheld blender or in a food processor and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF) and grease or line a cake or muffin tin
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Gradually whisk in half the sweetener
- In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the rest of the sweetener and the vanilla until pale and fluffy.
- Fold in the cooled oranges and ground almonds until smooth
- Gently fold in the whites, coconut and poppy seeds into the egg yoke mix.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased cake tin or muffin tin and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Bake (cake) for 50–55 minutes or (muffin tin) 20-25 minutes, until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin, then turn it out, and cool on a wire rack
- Delicious eaten alone or served with ginger spiced natural yogurt or diary and sugar free icecream