The boy woke me up with a request for pancakes this morning!
So we made vanilla and nutmeg buckwheat pancakes
and topped them with fresh raspberries, griddled banana slices, toasted almonds and raw agave nectar.
These buckwheat pancakes are dairy, gluten and sugar free: wonderfully light and fluffy and yet healthy and delicious.
That was, until the boy added spray cream to his!!
Saturday morning as it should be!!
Vanilla Buckwheat Pancakes
- 120g Buckwheat flour
- 2 tbs almond flour
- 2 tbs granulated sweetener or liquid stevia
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tbs unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 250 mls almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter, for the skillet (use oil or coconut oil for a dairy free option)
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 3 tbs raspberries
- 1 tbs sliced almonds, toasted
- Raw agave nectar to drizzle
- In a dry skillet, toast the sliced almonds over a medium heat until beginning to brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the dry ingredients
- In a jug mix together the milk egg and vanilla extract.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry to form a batter. Do not over whisk – some lumps may remain.
- Preheat your skillet over medium-low heat and brush with oil or melted butter.
- Spoon the batter onto the warm skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown on the underside.
- Flip and cook on the opposite sides for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Keep the cooked pancakes on a plate in a warm oven to keep warm while you make the rest of the pancakes.
- Once you have made the pancakes, turn up the heat under the griddle and brown the banana slices until deliciously caramelized!
- Top the pancakes with the caramelized banana slices, raspberries and the toasted almonds and a drizzle of nectar if you desire
- Serve and eat immediately.