different dairy and sugar free ice cream recipes since.
Then last week I was given a punnet of fresh figs and an idea was born!
I popped a vanilla pod into some sweetened almond milk overnight and made a rich jam with some of the figs. Then I simply churned the almond milk in the ice cream maker stirred in the jam. The fig jam gave it a lovely fudge-like taste.
However, even with re-blending my almond milk icecream it never became as ‘creamy’ as I’d have liked. the consistency was closer to sorbet and I think this would be perfect for setting into lolly moulds.
Next time I will try this with a diary free milk with a higher fat content (coconut or hazelnut) or add some froze banana for a creamier texture.
The rest of the fig jam however is disappearing quickly from the fridge as its become a new favourite of the boy!
Fig and Almond Ice Cream (Dairy Free)
- 1L almond Milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4tbs sweetener
- 12 figs, chopped into small chunks
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 orange
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbs almonds, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp sweetener
- Pinch salt
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds with a sharp knife. Put the seeds and the pod, and 3 tablespoons of your sweetener of choice into the almond milk and refrigerate overnight
- In a pan over a low heat, bring the figs, 1 tbs of sweetener, and the lemon and orange juice, and a dash of water to a gentle simmer
- Simmer for 30-50 minutes, until the figs have softened into a thick mixture
- Stir in the salt and set aside to cool
- Pour the sweetened vanilla almond milk into your ice cream maker and churn (mine took approx 30 minutes)
- Once churned, swirl in half of the fig jam, pour into an ice cream container and place in the freezer for 1 hour
- remove from the freezer and pour into a blender. Blend the ice cream for 3-5 minutes until creamy.
- Return to the icecream container, swirl in another few tablespoons of the fig jam and freeze
- To make the nut topping, place all the ingredients in a pan over a low heat until the nuts begin to brown. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool
- To serve, remove from the freezer at least 15 minutes prior to serving as the ice cream sets very hard.
- Sprinkle with the spiced caramelised nuts and enjoy!