The boy and I were having a stay-at-home-in-pyjamas day today and I though a hearty warming Chana Masala would mean we had a tasty dinner that would cook itself while we cuddled up on the sofa and watched a movie!
Chana Masala (Chickpea Curry)
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 3 onions, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 courgette, diced
- 2 inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbs cumin seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 tbs garam masala
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt,
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- tsp sugar
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 2 cans chickpeas,
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 large bunch fresh coriander, chopped (leaves and stems)
- 200mls vegetable stock
- Plain yogurt
- Drain the chickpeas and soak for at least 10 minutes in a bowl of water with a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda mixed in. Rinse and drain.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cloves and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, (about 1 minute).
- Add the onion, sprinkle with salt and cook until softened
- Add the pepper, courgette, ginger, and garlic, and cook for another couple of minutes
- Add the rest of the spices and stir to coat the vegetables. Keep stirring and cook, until fragrant, (another minute or so).
- Add the tomatoes, the chickpeas, the puree, sugar and the stock. Stir to combine, and bring to a simmer.
- After 15 minutes add 2/3 the fresh coriander and the spinach. Stir to combine and continue to cook until the sauce has thickened slightly, stirring occasionally
- Serve with a spoon of plain yoghurt and the rest of the fresh coriander