I have been making rejecting tweaking and remaking these brownies on and off for months. Each time they were just not right. Until today!
Oh my, but these are delicious! They are not gooey in the middle – I perhaps could have taken them out of the oven a few minutes earlier, but they are rich and sort of dense, but light at the same time!! Decadently chocolately, but not too sweet. Delicious!
A drizzle of cocoa-cashew nut butter and a cup of tea and all is well with the world!
They are also easy to make – perhaps a little too easy…. the temptation to make them again once this batch is finished…..!
I don’t eat milk chocolate so I just used cocoa which gives them a dark chocolate flavour. I’d recommend adding milk chocolate chips or milk chocolate to the melted butter if you prefer a less bittersweet flavour.
PS. I’ve just seen these black bean and butterscotch brownies over at Skinny Sweet Treats – what a flavour combination! They look awesome. Please check it out!
Cranberry, Cocoa and Chia Seed Brownies (Dairy, gluten and refined sugar free)
- 90g Almond flour
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 60g sweetener (I used xylitol)
- 2 tbs date syrup
- 3 small organic eggs (2 large)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 60g butter (I used dairy free. You could also use a nut butter)
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 2 tbs dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 150C (fan 0ven)/170C/350F
- Prepare a square cake tin with baking paper
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl mix together the almond flour, salt, cocoa powder, and baking powder
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the eggs, sugar, date syrup and vanilla
- Whilst still mixing, pour in the melted butter
- Stir in the dry ingredients and mix completely.
- Stir in the chia seeds and cranberries
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool completely and slice into squares