The other day I had a salad with a dressing that was to die for! My sister was laughing at me as I ooh-ed and ahh-ed my way through the meal. Unfortunately I later found out that it was not gluten and sugar free and so I decided to try and recreate it. The salad is a mixture of white and red quinoa, borlotti, french beans, and black eyed beans, carrots, chickpeas, almonds and pistachio nuts, and carrots.
But its is the dressing that makes it with its intense flavours of ginger, garlic, lime, coriander, sesame, honey, pomegranate, and soy. So so good.
This is my re-creation, and it is nearly finished already its so delicious.
Nutty Mixed Bean, Quinoa Vegetable salad with sweet Ginger, Lime dressing (Gluten, refined sugar, soy and dairy free)
For the salad:
- 250g cooked Red and White Quinoa
- 2 tbs cooked Borlotti beans
- 2 tbs French beans, chopped and blanched
- 2 tbs Black Eyed beans, cooked
- 1 medium carrots, very finely diced
- 2 tbs chickpeas, cooked
- 2 tbs almonds and pistachio nuts, toasted
- 1 tbs sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tbs fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
For the dressing: (makes a 200ml bottle of sauce. Should be kept in the fridge and tastes better with age)
- 2 tbs minced ginger
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 1 small onion, grated
- Juice of 3 limes
- 3 tbs manuka honey
- 2 tbs pomegranate juice (I made the juice from half a pomegranate)
- 100mls homemade soy sauce
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- Freshly ground himalayan salt to taste
For the salad:
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and put in the refrigerator while you make the dressing for the flavours to blend
For the dressing:
- Blend together all the ingredients except the sesame oil and seasoning
- Rub through a fine mesh sieve to form a clear sauce (I kept the garlic, ginger, onion pulp to used in cooking)
- Stir the sesame oil into the strained sauce and season to taste
- Drizzle over the salad and serve immediately.
- Keep the rest of the sauce in a sealed bottle in the refrigerator.