Its Pancake day (Shrove Tuesday) in the UK. The day before Lent begins, when traditionally, eggs, milk and sugar were used up before the 40-day Lenten fast…by making Pancakes.
Today I decided to make American-style Pancakes however…., and chocolate ones at that. With strawberry compote, banana, toasted almonds and home made nutella.
The Pancakes are made with Buckwheat flour, almond milk and honey, so they are gluten, refined sugar and dairy free!
But still delicious! The boy had a huge chocolate-y grin after eating his!!
Chocolate Buckwheat Pancakes (Gluten, Diary and Refined Sugar free)
- 150g Buckwheat flour
- 20g unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- Small pinch Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 2 tbs Honey (or whatever sweetener you desire)
- 200mls Almond Milk
- 1 tbs oil
- In a measuring jug, whisk together the buckwheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt
- Pour in the almond milk, vanilla, honey or sweetener and beaten egg whisk until smooth
- Heat a tsp of oil in a skillet over a medium to medium-high heat
- Pour the batter into the middle of the pan until is spreads the the size pancake you want
- Cook until browned on the underside and then flip over and cook the other side.
- Decant onto a place and cover to keep warm
- Repeat with the rest of the batter until you have a lovely pile of pancakes
- Serve with whatever toppings you desire!