My son loves sweet sesame chicken. Bought from a restaurant it has large amounts of sugar and so I decided to make some at home using just a little honey and see how it came out. It worked well, with the strong delicious flavours of lime, coriander, ginger, garlic sesame and soy.
Many recipes also call for flouring the chicken which I didn’t do so it is also gluten free.
I paired the chicken with a stir fry made with Cauliflower rice (similar to my Pad Thai dish) instead of noodles.
Filling, warming and tasty, whats not to love!
Sweet Sesame Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Stir-fry (Gluten and sugar free)
- 350g chicken breast or thigh meat (deboned), sliced
- 2 tbs sesame seeds (using black and white seeds makes it look pretty!)
For the sweet marinade:
- 3 tbs soy sauce (I used homemade)
- 3 tbs Manuka honey
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1.5 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 tbs sesame oil
For the stir fry:
- 0.5 medium Cauliflower
- 1 tbs frying oil of choice
- 1 tbs soy sauce (I used homemade)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, sliced into matchsticks
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 4 spring onions diagonally sliced
- 3 handfuls, bean shoots
- 2 handfuls cabbage, shredded (I used red and green)
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 2 handfuls, fresh coriander, chopped
- Grate or place the cauliflower pieces into a food processor and blitz until the texture of couscous
- Steam the grated cauliflower until soft or cook in a microwave for 3-5 minutes (should be soft and sweetened)
- Place the cauliflower in a cheese cloth or clean tea towel, and squeeze to remove excess water and decant into a bowl
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 190C
- In a pan over a medium heat, brown the sliced chicken until golden, and decant into a baking dish
- Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade and pour all but a tablespoon over the chicken
- Stir in the sesame seeds and mix so that the chicken is well coated
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Meanwhile, make the cauliflower stir fry.
- Heat the oil in a wok over a high heat and add the garlic, half the spring onions, and the ginger, and the soy sauce
- Fry for a minute until the oil becomes fragrant
- Add the onions and peppers and fry until softened, stirring or tossing constantly
- Add the cabbage and bean sprouts, and fry for a couple more minutes
- Move the vegetables over to one side of the wok and fry the eggs on the other side, stirring the eggs constantly until cooked and looking a little like scrambled egg!
- Mix the egg with the vegetables and stir in the cauliflower rice
- Pour over the rest of the marinade and toss until well coated
- Stir in the coriander, sesame oil (if using), squeeze over the lime juice, and serve, topped with the sesame chicken, the rest of the spring onion and lime wedges