However, having never made a green sponge cake before, and knowing that food colouring can often affect taste, I was cautious in how much I added. As a result the cake was only very mildly green and did not end up being the St Patrick’s Day tribute it should have been.
It did, however, taste lovely. I adapted my marble cake recipe and used almond flour to make it gluten free, so it is rather dense, but still has a nice crumb. And the subtle flavours of almond and pistachio. For a sugar free ganache, I used cashew nut butter flavoured with raw cocoa and a little sweetener, and topped the cake with toasted crushed salted pistachios.
I’m very glad the whole lot was polished off or I’d be at risk of eating it all myself!
St Patrick’s day Green Almond Pistachio Cake (Gluten, Dairy and Refined Sugar free)
Ingredients: (This is for a 5 inch cake tin)
- 100g almond flour
- 50g buckwheat flour
- 80g chopped pistachios
- 3 eggs
- 0.5 tbs lacuma powder
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 5 tbs granulated sweetener (I used xylitol)
- 2 tbs yoghurt (replace with oil/coconut oil for a dairy free recipe)
- 2 tbs unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tap almond essence
- 1.5 tsp green food colouring paste
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the Ganache:
- 150g Cashew butter (or smooth nut butter of choice)
- 20g Raw Cocoa Powder
- 2 tbs Maple syrup (sweeten to taste)
For the pistachio decoration:
- 30g pistachios, chopped and toasted
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 200C/fan oven 180C
- Toast the pistachios and blend in a food processor to a rough crumb
- Measure 50g of the pistachios and the rest of the dry ingredients into a medium sized bowl and mix well.
- Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, almond essence and sweeteners in another bowl.
- Stir in the yoghurt (if using)
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the green flavouring if using to the desired colour. Be careful not to use too much as it may impair the taste of the batter.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake tin and bake for 45 minutes until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack, and then slice the cake horizontally in half
To make the ganache and decoration:
- Mix together the nut butter and cocoa.
- Maple syrup to taste
- Mix the remaining pistachios with a pinch of salt
- Spread a thin layer of the ganache on the bottom slice of cake and sprinkle over some pistachios
- Place the top half of the cake on top
- Pour the rest of the ganache over the top of the cake and sprinkle the remaining pistachio crumb over the top of the cake
- Slice and enjoy!