I like mackerel a lot and eat it fairly often. But I had never made it into a pate until today.
I had some extra steamed sweet potato from making some blinis and so I blended the two together with some lemon juice, and a little olive oil. Stirred into some fresh chives, popped it into the refrigerator to set while I made some sesame and poppyseed crackers to go with it!
An hour or two later, voila! A wonderfully light, sweet, salty, garlic-y pate, served with lemon slices, warm fresh baked crackers and garnished with crushed pink peppercorns.
Between myself, the boy and our two friends we had finished it all in no time!
Smoked Mackerel and Sweet Potato Pate (Dairy Gluten and Sugar free)
- 200g of fresh mackerel (I used smoked, but peppered or unsmoked would work fine if you prefer)
- 100g sweet potato, steamed until soft
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Juice of 0.5-1 lemon
- Himalayan Pink Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbs fresh Chives, finely chopped
- Cucumber, julienned or very thinly sliced
- Lemon quarters
- Crushed pink peppercorns
- Place the mackerel and sweet potato into the blender and pulse until as smooth as you desire
- Decant into a bowl, and stir in the lemon juice and olive oil
- Season to taste and stir in the chives
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- Julienne or slice some cucumber and arrange in a ring on a plate
- Spoon the set pate into quenelles (if making separate servings) or into a chefs ring on top of the cucumber slices and squeeze over a little lemon juice
- Sprinkle over some crushed pink peppercorns and serve with bread or crackers