It was the lunchtime before grocery shopping day, and I had a couple of slices of homemade focaccia (gluten free) left over, and egg and two courgettes (zucchini) left in the refrigerator. What to make for lunch? Then I found a few tablespoons of grated parmesan in a bowl from the night before – So I made courgette chips – or Zucchini fries as they are probably better known across the pond!
I used the bread to make gluten/yeast free breadcrumbs, seasoned it a little, mixed with the parmesan, coated strips of courgette in the egg and breadcrumb mix, and then baked them. You can fry them but I wanted them to be healthier. They came out of the oven, golden and crispy on the outside and soft and sweet on the inside.
I tried several different dips – some marinara sauce, some greek yoghurt with lemon juice and pesto stirred in, and some homemade mayonnaise. In the end I liked them best with the plain mayonnaise.
They took roughly 40 minutes to make from start to finish, but they were finished in less than 10!
A delicious healthy moreish snack.
Baked Crispy Courgette Chips (Zucchini Fries)
- 2 medium courgettes (zucchini), sliced into chips
- 5 tbs gluten free breadcrumbs (I used my gluten free focaccia bread, toasted and processed into breadcrumbs)
- 3 tbs parmesan, finely grated. (Use more or less to your taste. My breadcrumbs were already very flavoursome so this was enough to flavour. You could try without the parmesan for a dairy free recipe)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 100mls almond milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Place a cooling rack on a baking tray. Lightly grease or spray with a little oil.
- In a bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan, spices and seasoning
- In another bowl, beat together the egg and the milk
- Dip each courgette chip in the egg mixture, then into the breadcrumbs, and place on the rack.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and crispy on the outside, and soft and cooked on the inside
- Serve immediately with dips and enjoy!